Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Change is in the air.

Change is in the air- that is such a general statement. What does it even mean? Isn't change always in the air? I know it is for us. When I woke up this morning I planned on slowly waking to my alarm, showering, getting ready for work. Instead I was awoken by Aly's cry at 5:20, Hayden up at 6:00, and hustling around the house to get out by 6:45 and on my way to work. We are constantly changing, constantly reacting. With small children your whole day is about change and accepting that what you had planned in your mind is rarely the reality. For us it is more like "Letting go of control is in the air". The older I get the more I realize that when I chose to be a mother I chose to no longer have control over most things. What we eat for dinner- not my choice. What time I wake up- not my choice. What I do on the weekends- FOR SURE not my choice. I have found that letting go of that need for control, and rolling with the punches (sometimes literally Aly has taken to slapping me in the face and laughing) makes for a better, easier, happier day and in turn a happier Mom and Kids. Change is good- I have been telling myself that a lot lately. If we aren't changing, we aren't growing and isn't growing what life is all about?

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter into another! ~Gail Sheehy

1 comment:

  1. Lily and Aly,
    I live in Sacramento , CA and work with a nonprofit agency that works with college campuses so they can become smoke-free. The name for the campaign is "change is in the air". We would like to use your graphic to alert folks to our progress through a facebook ad. Searching google this picture does not indicate that it is free to use and post. Would you mind if we used this picture in our campaign?
    Best to you and yours!
    Carol cmaytum@sacbreathe.org

    ReplyDelete