Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Leave it to Ren

     If I had know Ren would be so much of a better parent than me I never would have married him. Ok not really, but honestly it drives me crazy how much our girls love their Daddy. It is not a joke that when Ren comes home Hayden lights up like the 4th of July (que Katy Perry here). You know how in those old sitcoms like Leave It to Beaver, the kids would wait patiently by the door for their Dad to come home from work? Then bombard him with hugs and kisses while the Mom is in the kitchen making Daddy a drink, and cooking dinner. That is what our house is like-kinda. Hayden literally does wait by the door, and runs to give Ren a hug the second he walks in the door, and I am in the kitchen- but making myself a drink (or 2 or 3).
     When you meet in college on a fraternity ski trip (H&A don't read that part) you ask questions like- What do you like to drink? What are you studying? Do you dance? (to which I replied never and then 2 hours later was in a fierce dance off). You don't ask how they will be with kids. You definitely don't ask if they will get up 3 times a night for feedings, or insist on checking on them EVERY night before he goes to sleep. You don't ask if he will let your little girls paint his toenails and put barrettes in his hair. I lucked out-without asking I picked a guy who will do all this with our girls. Last night as I sat exhausted on the couch after a day of work and a sick baby I watched Ren make Hayden laugh so hard you could hear it through the house- she laughed with her whole body, her whole soul. In that moment  I knew I did good. Without knowing it I picked a guy who is a better Daddy than I am a Mommy and I guess that makes me an OK Mommy because I picked right. So Ren Happy Daddy's Day 2011. First Father's day of a father of 2. I hope they always wait at the door for you to come home so they can give you a big bear hug (but let's be honest we both know in a few years it will be you waiting by the door, so you can check on them EVERY night before you go to sleep). We love you- Hayden, Aleyah and Em.







No comments:

Post a Comment