Monday, June 6, 2011

Someone Jump in Hayden is Overboard!

Well believe it or not the sun came out in Seattle this weekend and we took full advantage of it. The weekend started on Friday when Anna, Brian, and I took all 4 girls (ages 3 1/2, 9 months, 3, and1 year) out on the boat. I will try and describe this as best possible so you can get a mental picture. It took Anna, Brian and I almost 3 hours to prepare for a half hour outing. Brian got the boat in the water, Anna went to the store and bought enough food to feed an army (including 2 cases of beer that I never had one of- someone thought this would go differently.) I got the girls ready, sunscreen'd up and in suits and we were off!
     Hayden was so excited the whole drive to Lake Sammamish she kept asking "Mommy are we going on that blue thing" referring to the lake. As soon as we got there we loaded them all in the boat, leisurely cruised out to the middle and with smiles on our faces ate sandwiches, handed out cold drinks (again mine went un- opened) and thought about relaxing. Then the girls wanted desperately to go in the water until they stuck their piggies in and realized how unbelievably cold it was! So we all sat, ate and let the small babies wander on the floor of the boat. Then the unthinkable happened- I looked up and Hayden was no longer sticking her feet in off the back of the boat- she was OVERBOARD! Very quickly all 3 adults were at the back of the boat trying to grab Hayden out of the water. At 3 1/2 Hayden is far from a perfect swimmer  but she was trying so hard that with the life jacket on the harder she flailed her arms the father she drifted away.
     This is one of those moments as a parent you will relive forever. Hayden was so scared, and so cold, her big blue eyes were like saucers, her arms reaching out to us. I of course in all the planning to get ready did not put on my suit so knowing she was OK with the life jacket on I thought trying to grab her would work and I wouldn't have to jump in- but it didn't. So Brian who is in jeans at this point is unloading everything out of his pockets, and preparing to jump in. Then like the angel she is Anna just leaps into the water in ALL of her clothes (suit underneath) pulling Hayden out. Needless to say Hayden was fine, a little shocked, very cold, and by this point pretty much over her first boat outing. I learned three lessons on our first summer boat trip this year.

1) NEVER, EVER have kids on the boat without a life jacket- I know this seems obvious but sometimes we get careless and it is reminders like these that bring us back to the realities of what could happen.

2) I will not be headed out on the boat again without a parent for every child- next time I want to be able to open my cold beverage.

3) and I think this was the best lesson- everyone should have friends like Anna and Brian. I always knew they were good people, everyone I know tells me they are good people. But how many people do you know who would jump into a freezing lake to save your deathly scared child without even a second thought. If ever I had a doubt that my husband, my kids, and I are truly blessed to have the Schonacher's in our life it was proven on this day. Thank you Anna and Brian for all you do for us- our days would be longer and our nights a lot less fun, without you. Our girls are lucky to have you to to "jump in" for  them.

Cheers to a much less adventurous boat trip next time!

Oh and I almost forgot to mention Blakely (age 1) is apparently prone to motion sickness so when all the of the craziness was over and we were getting off the boat Blakely was sitting on the floor puking. Man what happened to going out on a hot summer day and getting a good buzz on the boat? A sitter will be lined up for next time!!

Stay tuned for Saturday's outing that one is good too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment